Sunday, October 25, 2009

Maybe Sam Bradford Can Help

Now you are caught up with real time. The journey continues. . .

2009 Friday Night Lights- Week 8
Last Saturday, we spent the day chillin’-literally most of the entire day and evening. We were blessed to have a friend of the family visiting for the weekend, enabling us nothing but chillin’ time. At one point, it was just B and I watching the football games in the family room. We watched Oklahoma University Sam Bradford’s post game interview following yet another shoulder injury. We watched, rewound, and watched phrase by phrase again.
This is how it went:
ESPN Q: “How are you feeling right now? What’s going through your head?”
Bradford: “I had a lot of goals. It’s not how I had this season going. But these things have happened and I know God is doing this for a reason right now. I trust Him and know that He has a plan for me. I am just going to bounce back as well as I can.”
B agreed they share something.
This week he has been regaining his strength and stamina. He is not 100% post flu or cold or whatever he had, but he has improved. His shoulder has shown signs of small improvements too. Nevertheless, the last regular season game was played with #21 running the clipboard on the sidelines instead of sharp routes on the field.
The team led at the start of the fourth quarter against a good team 21-7. Unfortunately, the tables turned sharply and we lost 21-35. B arrived home late, said little, grabbed a peanut butter cookie, and headed for bed.
This afternoon I asked him how he felt about the whole thing. He wasn’t much into talking about it. I said, “You seem at peace. Are you?”
“I don’t know, I guess.” He responded.
“Really?” I asked as he didn’t sound very convincing in talk, but in action has been quiet, yet pleasant.
“I think I am good at acting that way. I don’t really know.” He muttered.
“Do you still think things are going good on the sidelines with growth and respect with your coaches?” I wondered as he hasn’t shared much this week with his interactions.
“I think they’ve written me off-nicely.” He confessed.
“How’s that?” I asked, knowing the answer, hoping for some opening.
“It sucks.” (He gave me nothing.)
He said he tried not to think about the stress of next year, not knowing his options. I assured him as he continued to pray and stay close to the Spirit, he would know his true course.
I am not sure I convinced him.
Maybe Sam Bradford can help.
B is off with some friends right now. I have taken the text of Bradford’s interview, copied it 20 times and put it all through his back pack.
To be continued. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment